Friday, March 28, 2008

Day 10--March 28--Dothan to Lake Park, GA

We have landed in Lake Park which is south of Valdosta at a super Good Sam Park called Eagles Roost. Almost all of the sites are pull throughs. There are many mature trees just dripping with Spanish Moss. On our way we passed through Donaldson and saw several peanut processing plants. We also drove through one of the prettiest little towns I've ever seen--Quitman, GA. Many of the houses looked like Thomas Kincaid paintings--cute little cottages with azaleas in full bloom. Unfortunately we didn't stop and take pictures. Next little town we come upon like this we've both promised ourselves to stop and take a walk around town.
We are putting our Charmglow grill that Jeff and Amy gave to us for Christmas to good use. We use it everyday. Tonight we had pork loin, potatoes and onions, and asparagus all done on the grill. Last evening Betsy even did pizza using the grill.

Forgot to tell the story of Rosalie which is one of the mansions in Natchez that is on the tour. Betsy and I were especially interested in Rosalie because its owned by the Mississippi Daughters of the American Revolution. We arrived and ask to buy a tour ticket only to be told that tickets had to be purchased downtown and the visitors center. We didn't want to go back downtown again so I told Betsy to go back in the gift shop building and see if they had any pictures of the interior so that we could use them in our power point presentation about our trip. While she did that I walked Tipper in a grassy area to the side of the mansion. Betsy joined us and I pointed to an unguarded gate which would get us into the mansion yard and we could take some better pictures. Betsy didn't want to sneak in as we might get caught. I told her just to keep walking and if anyone stopped us to just say, "My name is Jane McPherson from Kingston, TN and I'm by God a'going to see this house!" Jamie

I just purchased a Woodall's Campsite Cookbook for inspiration in my travel cooking. So far we are enjoying a varied well balenced diet but I did not how much longer I could go on with my meager camp cooking knowledge. My rule of thumb is----if it is hot (65+ degrees) I cook outdoors on the grill and it is is colder I'll cook indoors in the kitchen. If I get in real trouble with the cooking, I'll call my friend Lois who knows everything about outdoor cooking. Betsy

6 comments:

Pat Mount said...

What a wonderful Friday evening read. Thanks for all of the description as you travel along the blue highways. I am so proud of your slow travel - 7 days on the Trace!!!!! Keep on truckin', but most of all enjoying the experience!

Amy said...

At least I can say that I come by "sneaking" into places honestly! We wont mention the Tulsa Zoo. Anyway, I agree with Pat, 7 days on the Trace! You are both really getting into retirement and slow travel, which is great. Dad, why couldn't we travel like that when we were kids?!?!?!

Anonymous said...

And now I see where Amy learned her "breaking and entering" skills. It sounds like a great trip. I've been to Valdosta. Toss a sandwich to the alligators for me.

Lois Steele said...

We were in Savannah for our 30th wedding anniversary & ate @ a cool place called Mrs. Wilke's Boarding House located @ 107 West Jones Street in the historical area. It is open for breakfast & lunch only. I had my picture taken w Mrs. Wilkes and bought her cookbook that I love. You might also like the nightly guided ghost walks & cemetery walks.

We held the annual Steele egg hunt on Easter - in the snow. We had: 1 9 mo old, 1 one yr old, 6 - 2 yr olds, 2 - 3 yr olds, 1 four, 1 5 yr old, 2 8 yr olds, 1 nine, 1 ten, 1 eleven & 1 fifteen yr old and 400 + eggs...fun had by all.

Have fun & i'll catch your next blog...

Bennita said...

What an adventure!!! Your next stop is the part of the country I love. Can't wait to hear about Edisto Island. Hope you get to check out Beaufort.
You're not miss much here unless you love rain.
Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous I can hardly stand it. Sounds like you are having a great time.