Saturday, March 22, 2008

Day 3 ---Lawrenceburg, Tennessee (again)



Day Three, Friday, March 21
Well, we found out what tomorrow would bring. This morning we had stowed and packed everything and planned on heading to Wal-Mart for a few things, and then to McDonalds for breakfast and posts to the blog and check our e-mail. Then I noticed the
5 inch puddle under the trucks engine. The liquid smelled like gear lube to me and based on where the puddle was I thought it might be a gasket in the front differential. We did go ahead and hit Wal-Mart and then discovered that a Dodge dealer was just across the street. The Service Dept was open and they would work us in. To make a long story short it took them about four hours to figure out that it wasn’t from the differential, but
was from the power steering unit—they could order the part but it wouldn’t be in for
two or three days—the mechanic suggested that we just buy a quart of power steering fluid, and a long funnel & keep on truckin’. Before we left I had him show me the pump and where to fill. During our wait had breakfast at Shoney’s, played with Tipper, I continued a book I’d started the night before, fixed a squeaky panty door, and took a nap. It was 3:30 PM local time when we finished with the dealer and the auto parts store so we decided it didn’t make sense to head back to The Trace. Instead we decided to head back to where we began the day. So we’re here at Crockett State Park again. About the only interesting thing was that when we checked in to the park one of the workers was holding a corn snake that was about 4 or 5 feet long. I ask her if I could touch it since to my knowledge I’ve never touched a snake. She said it would be okay. She kept a hold of the critter and I petted it. She then offered to let me hold it. I told her no thanks, I was fine with getting to know snakes on a very slow basis.
J did not mention we saw a naturalist talk around dinner time across the way with a Barred Owl and a Great Horned Owl as the main attractions. We learned about the wildlife in the area and are hopeful none will move in with us tonight.
We had a nice fire and watched the full moon through the trees. Lovely it was.
Betsy

1 comment:

Pat Mount said...

We just got back from out short trip through Central Arizona. We also enjoyed the same full moon as it rose over Four Peaks. Sorry you have experienced the downside of travel - rain and truck problmes. The nice (?) part is you have no set dates to be anywhere and you are not wasting precious vacation days!
Enjoy the slow travel, you seem to be in the groove right away!!!