Friday, March 28, 2008

Day 9 Coffeeville to Dolthan, AL


Today is the day that we make a little detour and visit our special destination. A few weeks back I was going over our general route and just east of Coffeeville my eyes left US84 and travelled north on SR43. To my wandering eyes did appear--Kimbrough, Alabama!! I was just sure it would be a lot like Mayberry. A quaint little downtown area, with a few neatly kept houses. Well gang, I'm afraid my over active imagination has done me in again. Kimbrough, AL is a spot on the road with a crappy grocery on one side of the road, and not to be outdone, an equally crappy filling station on the other side. No houses at all. We were afraid to go into either place of business, but did stop and take a picture of the Kimbrough road sign. We drove over 250 miles today to reach Dothan so we're going to take it easy tomorrow. Plus we're sorta in a "tweener. We'd have to do another long haul to reach the Savannah area and the parks require a two night stay on the weekends. We'll try and split the difference and stay in the Valdosta area Friday night and then do a state park near Savannah on Sat and Sunday.
You know you're in the South when you see Piggly Wiggly grocery stores, Bunny bread, Pure Oil filling stations, cotton fields, red clay, and all you can eat catfish signs. Our site tonight has a Pecan tree and a Camellia bush in full bloom and Tipper has taken a liking to the nuts. We're not quite sure how that will affect his digestive system, but I guess we'll find out. We are only 89 miles from Panama City, FL on SR231.
I'm sure this is the route George and Dorothy would have driven years ago. Jamie

We enjoyed sitting on our patio last evening shaded by the Camellia bush in short sleeved shirts. Happy to have WiFi for a day or so and TV. I have given up on TV except for the news as Jamie hogs it with the NCAA tourney. I have found you can indeed find everything you need in the WalMart as that is the only shopping I have done on the trip. You know you are in trouble when you look forward to the trip to the WalMart Betsy!

No comments: