Monday, October 27, 2008

Arizona Snowbirds




Oct 26th
We actually slept in a little later than normal. I don’t think I realized how much my recent “procedure” took out of me. Yesterday my voice was strained and my lungs seemed wheezy, but today I feel better. We got back on I-44 and headed toward OK.
I think that most of the political pundits are calling MO a toss up state, but based on the yard signs it will be McCain winning. I did not see one Obama sign from Lebanon to the state line. Once we were in OK we got off I-44 at Vinita and took Route 66 into the Tulsa area. What a treat to tool along The Mother Road as Steinbeck called it. And to make it even more special was to be pulling a vintage trailer. We were going through Chelsea when we found this old store with all the animal figures. We had to go back and take a couple of pictures. If any of you are looking for that special accent piece for your bedroom, let me know and I’ll put you in touch with this fine establishment. Remember, nothin’ says lovin’ like a concrete life size buffalo. While we were between Tulsa and Oklahoma City the wind really picked up from the north. On top of the wind problem we also found THE WORST concrete road in the U.S. It’s I-40 just outside Oklahoma City. Rough as a cob. Between the rotten road surface and the wind we were forced to reduce speed to about 50 mph. We had decided that we wanted to stay on the west side of Oklahoma City so that we didn’t have to mess with rush hour traffic tomorrow. We have checked into a Good Sam campground in El Reno. This campground has a new wrinkle. It’s owed by the same people that operate the Best Western Motel next door and the RV people also get a free hot breakfast in the motel. We’ve never run into that deal before. The motel/RV empire has you check in at the motel and while there a big Halliburton crew checked in. With all the publicity regarding Halliburton you would think they might want to go low key. No way. The crewmembers were all wearing red overalls with white reflector stripes. And of course the name Halliburton was plastered all over everything.

1 comment:

"his-self" said...

On the road! Good for you. It's killin' me not being out there. Sorry I missed the trip to Ridgway this summer. Maybe next year.

I'm glad to see you got the door fixed!

I will be keeping up with your travels.