Thursday, April 17, 2008

April 14--Raleigh to Salisbury


Alas, our time with Jeff, Lisa, and James has come to an end. We're headed to Salisbury, NC and Rowan County which is where my Rev War ancestor lived. We only found two campgrounds listed in our directory and selected Dan Nichols Park. I think we assumed that it was a state park, but it's actually a county park and absolutely amazing. It has a small lake, petting zoo, tennis courts, baseball/softball fields, plus all the other stuff like nature trails. There were only about 3 other campers in the campgrounds so we had our pick of the sites. We chose one down by the lake.
After unhooking the trailer we headed into Salisbury to find the library. I spent the next three hours in the genealogy section while Betsy roamed the town. The first thing I learned at the library was that the part of Rowan County that my ancestor lived in was split off into Davidson County. Luckily they still had a lot of records for Davidson Country. I didn't find much of anything new on the Rev War ancestor, probably because he was only there for 30 or 40 years and all his children moved south or west.
However I did find that his son, my great-great-great grandfather Jeremiah married into the elite of Quaker families, the Mendenhalls. That probably accounts for my easy going, kind and gentle, likable personality.
When Betsy and I met up she was just raving about how much she enjoyed her walk through town so we drove around and
it really was a neat place. Many old homes with a nice downtown area. It sort of reminded us of Columbus but older. jamie

I had a ball shopping knowing no one was waiting for me to finish looking at everything. Met a wonderful old man whose family owned the Okey Dokey General Store for the past 110 years. He said not much had changed in the store in all those years and I tend to agree with him. They had collectables, twine, toys, seeds, seed onions and potatoes and metal garden benches and art. An awesome collection! Salsisbury is a wonderful old town. Betsy
Picture The lake at Dan Nichols Park

No comments: