Saturday, April 5, 2008

Day 17 - Edisto Beach, SC


Day 17, April 4, Edisto Island
Todays post is dedicated to Arlo Guthrie and his famous Alice’s Resturant recording which we all listened to back in the 60’s. Jane left for the big house early today to meet Leroy, her island handy man. Betsy and I followed a couple of hours later. The first thing on the agenda was for Leroy and me to clean out a first floor storage area which was just filled with Christmas wreaths and other Christmas decorations plus a few odds and ends. We filled the bed of Leroys truck and still hadn’t made a dent in the mess.
So we filled up my pickup too and that pretty much got it all. Leroy takes off for the dump, and I run upstairs to tell Deputy Jane and Inmate Betsy that we’ve gone to the dump. When I arrive at the dump I was surprised to see Leroy sitting just outside the gate. I pull up, get out, ask Leroy what the problem is. He tells me the gates locked.
I look at the gate and sure ‘nuff it’s locked. I look at Leroy, and he looks at me.
Then I notice a sign by the gate which says Days of Operation, Monday thru Thursday and Saturday. Hell’s fire today is Friday. I ask Leroy what we do now? He says, “Nev
heard of no dump bein’ closed on Friday”. So here we sit with about 550 Christmas wreaths in various stages of disrepair, a couple dozen broken Santa’s and a few Rudolph’s thrown into the mix. I start walking up the road to a cluster of buildings that house some town offices in hopes of finding someone who’ll let us in the dump. I hadn’t gotten very far when I heard a truck coming up behind me. I turn around and jump for joy when I see it’s a town owned truck with a load of leaves and branches. By the time I’d gotten back to the gate Leroy had already talked to the driver and gotten permission for us to dump our load while the town truck dumped it’s load. Man we roared into that dump and Leroy went to one dumpster and I headed to another dumpster and we had
a steady stream of wreaths flying through the air. As Arlo would say, “So if you’re ever on Edisto Island, on a Friday, with 550 Christmas wreaths, a couple dozen broken Santa’s, and a few Rudolph’s thrown into the mix, you better be damn lucky or there
ain’t a gonna’ be no dumping.” Jamie

The shoes are a tribute to yesterdays post!!! I'm just happy I didn't lose a eye to the 150 +spike heels I dug out of the top of a closet. Betsy

2 comments:

Amy said...

Sounds like you are going to have a few stories to tell your children and grandchildren for a long time about Edisto Island, SC. Look at the positive side of things, at least the weather is not favorable for site seeing so you might as well work.

Pat Mount said...

Those shoes say Evelyn all over them - I can picture the bright red lipstick very clearly. I think you got the better deal - we just spent several days going through Woody's garage and back room - Jack probably won't get out of there until Wednesday and has to go back in the Fall for the auction. I'm happily back home in Tucson tonight (Saturday).